Thursday, April 2, 2015

Birthday woes - (Insert "Help Needed!" sign.)



Never in my life have I known the frustration of birthday planning -- Until now!

Teens, I tell ya!

It used to be so simple. It used to be (Choose a place for us to take you out for supper. Choose a way to spend your day, be it a trip to the zoo, aquarium, movies, etc. Followed by coming home for cake and presents.) I'm thinking that I had it way too easy. My kids were never really into parties. Birthday's were more family oriented. 

Until now!

Brittany wants a party. A real party. "First." She wanted an (Alice in wonderland) themed party. So instantly -- seeing how she sprung this on me on such short notice. I start Pinteresting, googling, etc. Looking for anything and everything to put together an Alice in wonderland party quick, and on a budget. 
I got it all figured out, links saved (that night - would check the account and see how much I had to play with for decorations, etc.) I found some pretty awesome ideas, and lots of stuff was on Ebay! 
She gets home, and it has all changed. "She no longer wants an Alice in wonderland party." It has been done a lot this year already, so she wants something different. Because NO ONE wants to attend and Alice party when they have already attended three already. 
At this moment --I am thankful I didn't make any purchases!
So I ask her what she wants. She doesn't know. All she knows is, she wants it to be awesome and to have games!

Games! Do you have any idea how hard it is to figure out games? Everything that I have googled on games for teens, she thinks is all lame! What kind of games do 15 year old's play? Any of you out there have any ideas? I am drawing a blank! 

Things that are definitely out!
  • No movies. She wants to interact. Not waste her time sitting through a movie. 
  • No paint balling, because everyone got hurt last time. 
  • No mini gulf, because it is boring and she gets frustrated with the ball. 
So far, those are the only things that she has mentioned not wanting. 

Things that she wants...
  • (around 9 people -- 14 including me, her dad, and sisters.) At home. 
  • Fun games. 
  • No lame decorations. Nothing childish.

Sigh ... so you can see where I am at a loss. I have 12 days to come up with and have prepared something awesome for her, and have absolutely nothing to go off of to help me decide. 

According to her Pinterest - she likes the ideas of floating lights, color throws and anything bright and funky! 

I kind of like the idea of that color throw. Googling the price of the powder colors - eh I dont know. (anyone out there know how to make color powder, like they use at color runs?) 
Maybe if all else fails, I can hang a huge canvas outside, hit up the dollar store for some large white T-shirts, and grab every kind of washable color paint I can find. Maybe let them paint that canvas with themselves during a Paint color fight. Using water guns or they can just use huge paint brushes to splatter it on each other and it. (I would have loved that as a kid!)

If it goes into the night or until it gets dark, maybe they can have a creepy (hide in seek) game in the woods behind my house. (but then.) I watch too many horror movies, and my luck some kidnapper will be out there watching and waiting and that is really not something I want happening on my watch. 

I have an idea on the setting for the party, just not the darned games! I am guessing pin the tail on the donkey is out. LOL. She does really love harry potter and Anime stuff. Maybe an Anime themed something, except I don't know the first thing about Anime.  I guess I have my work cut out for me. 

Wish me luck! I will need it on this one. 
Have a great day everyone xxDee



No comments:

Post a Comment