Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Teens! What did I get myself into?

You know, fourteen years ago when my husband and I were young and on our first kid completely unaware of what was to come due to the fact we were blessed with such a perfect baby. She never cried, never got into any real trouble, she was a happy go lucky toddler of greatness. She was all around the total package. Well mannered, easily pleased. Funny as hell. I could go on and on about stories of her at 2 climbing between your legs when you're sitting and saying weird things like

"You poo'ed a Brittany, Flush the toilet." So you had to pretend to flush and right as you did, she would swirl around and fall down to the floor. The kid was a riot. So much so, we were fooled. The husband and I. Completely fooled into thinking that 18 years with this one was going to be a breeze. That's her with all her attitude glory in the picture there.

So fooled we started having thoughts, of lets have more.


 I remember sitting around talking with Nicholas about future kids. "Let's have another." We would say innocently and unrealistically looking to dreams of children running into our arms with huge smiles, going off to school without a hitch,  starting high school with a great attitude never talking back, always doing the mature and appropriate thing. BOY WERE WE WRONG.

Three kids later *All girls* We enter TEEN YEARS! and not just Britt mind you, seems my middle child Erin has decided to join the mental rankings of teen attitude givers without first completing the years. Along with my youngest who just turned seven who thinks the correct thing to do is mimic her sisters. What are they mimicking?

Glad you asked ... I'll tell you.

Brittany, that adorable bubbly mess I once knew, turned over night into a hormone raging, know it all, anal retentive, eye rolling, talking back, I don't care what you asked me to do I will do what I want to do, "Perverted" mess! She's a little me on steroids. I mean, I couldn't have been like this.

What the hell did I get myself into? I'm going to have to go through this THREE TIMES. You know that mothers curse? You know the one "I hope your kids are half as bad as you." Well fuck me, they are ... they are worse. I think my mom must have went overboard with that curse, frankly I think she might wake daily and readmit it the way my kids have been acting.

It's not all bad, some days are good. But then, some days have me wanting to pull my hair out and beat my head against the wall, or maybe pull a matty "My nephew" and start biting myself.

You know,  I wonder what they would do. If mom started throwing a tantrum the way they do? I think I might just have to do it. Pull out my inner teen and show them just how ridiculous their actions are. Kicking and screaming and rolling on the floor, because I have to pick up my mess. I think I might. If I do, you guys will hear about it. If In fact I don't simply record it and show you.


Sigh, I just had to get that off my chest. I feel better. Any of you out there have a teen? How do you cope? I really feel like I am at a loss sometimes. I just don't know what to do. GRANT YOU, shes not into drugs, She's not having sex, she is a pervert "takes after me, and I am not sure if I should be proud of that." But the girl still hasn't had her first kiss and she's very committed to doing the right thing most of the time, her head is focused on school in all the right ways .... I am lucky. FREAKING INSANLY LUCKY, But the talking back because she knows it all, the secluding herself into her room because she doesn't want to hang with the family, the constant depression. EVERYTHING is a big deal to her. What am I doing wrong? Trying to talk to her feels like I'm forcing her to open up. I have already been scolded for constantly asking what is wrong. "Apparently, I don't care about her, because I am always asking her what's wrong and that just makes her feel worse."
Which in my head I am thinking ... well then now you know why I am asking what is wrong. Because obviously something is.

I'm pretty much feeling like I am getting this mom thing all wrong. Teens are tough! xxDee

No comments:

Post a Comment