Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Is it right, or is it wrong?

A few days ago, I asked a question on Facebook. "That question," can be seen in the picture up top.
FIRST: Let me give you a back story, to how I even got to that question.

There I was, relaxing in bed, a Stephen King novel in hand. "Insomnia." Sipping on my morning coffee, and enjoying the leftover pop tart that one of the kids didn't finish before catching the bus.
When my phone rings.
"Hello?" It's my sister Bree. She is coming to me for advice. Instantly, I feel awesome. Not often does she do this. What is this advice on? A camera. What I thought about the camera she was considering purchasing.
I pull it up on Best Buy and I start glancing over the specs. MY GOD! I am jealous! I want this camera. It's twice the camera I have now, and I could really use it. It would improve the quality of my work. "Photography."
Honestly, it is a pretty awesome camera, and I think she will be over the moon happy with it. (When) it comes out. Turns out, its not even available yet, and no one knows when.
Either way - I turned green with envy. I looked at the price. $1699.99. *Damn!* Out of any price range I have at the moment, especially with more pressing matters at hand. "Paying off the car and saving so Nick can get a new one, fixing the upstairs AC unit, so that Britt can have her own room. Getting new tires because the ones on the van are going bald. Taking the girls to get new shoes and clothes because GOSH DARN- kids grow out of everything and fast! I cannot justify spending that amount of money on myself. Not when there are so many other things that we need it for.
THEN BOOM!
An idea pops into my head. I bring it up to Bree, she is for it! Totally for it. GO FUND ME. Now keep in mind, this is a story. I have NOT set up a go fund me account.
To me, I was torn. Torn by something that I really wanted. And lets face is, If all those girls saying, FUND ME, because I am cute and want to go to Vegas can get away with it. Maybe someone would fund me enough to help me get an awesome camera.
So I asked .... Was it ethical.
I am pretty sure that I knew the answer to this question when I typed it out. I think I just needed someone to agree with me first.
ALMOST ALL of the answers, were ABSOLUTELY, go for it! You are not pressuring them, you are not forcing them, it is up to them whether or not they do. So really, as long as I am telling the truth, I am not being shady.
It was really sounding good ... and quite honestly, it still sounds good.
But it's not me. I just cannot do it. It feels, morally wrong to me. Here I am saying, help me buy this camera. Basically I am that guy sitting at the intersections of the highway asking for handouts, only to drive away in a new car. (Grant you- not that bad.) But I am perfectly capable of earning and saving, little by little to get what I want. I was just being lazy and looking for a get it quick scheme. I found it! I have absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that it would in fact work. But what I cannot guarantee is that guilt wouldn't eat me alive.
Now if I was trying to raise money for something worth while, like giving to the Red Cross, or a local animal shelter, then I would be all up on that. But for something so selfish as a new camera for myself. I just couldn't.

I am however, going to put away a little of each candle I sell, each book that I sell, each photography session I partake in - and eventually, EVENTUALLY, I will earn enough to get that camera.
So wish me luck on that. Someday, you guys will be getting an "I FREAKING DID IT!" Post with a picture of my over the top crazy smile, hugging a new camera.

OTHER THAN THAT, There isn't really a whole lot that is going on with me. I have however found a NEW FOUND love for my camera again. I admit that I had set it down. That only taking my camera out for a job, was taking its toll on my heart. I missed taking it out for random, doesn't really matter shoots. I just wanna take pictures. I am excited all over again about photography lately. I am quite enjoying it. My dog on the other-hand. Probably not as much as me. How adorable is he in those glasses. That face, just cracks me up.



I hope you all are having a great day. I also hope that if you have a go fund me account and are using it for something you want, please do not take offense to what I said here. If you wanna go balls to the wall and get what you want, You will get no judgment out of me.

Have a great day everyone. xxDee

No comments:

Post a Comment