Sunday, July 21, 2013

Murder Mayhem


Omg! I’m a murderer!

I was on location, doing a boudoir shoot with a lovely girl named Sharita. After I was done shooting her, she showed me to her garden. I have never been more envious than at that moment. As she proudly showed me tiny green tomatoes just beginning to bud. Sunflowers that would rise tall, lettuce, watermelon … and various others she had planted that were all doing lovely.  

You know how people get “The acting bug”? Well … There is very much something called “The gardening bug” to and I was just bitten. Hard!  

The whole drive home all I could think about was seeds. (I have never planted and grown anything) Minus the lima bean project in school – That died! Even though I had never journeyed down this path. I just knew that it was going to be awesome!

With visions of cooking supper and wanting a fresh salad and simply walking into my lush garden full of lettuce, tomato, peppers and everything else I wanted to add in growing more vividly in my head as the drive home progressed. I was hooked. I wanted to garden and I wanted to start now!

Sharita had already given me the basics. I just needed stuff now! I rushed to my nearest family dollar. Grabbed soil, seeds, pots and a water sprayer that ended up not even working. Went home and immediately went to planting.

To my surprise, amusement and joy … It didn’t take long to see growth. The tomatoes and peas were quick to show their lovely green leaves! The pumpkin showed thick luscious leaves about 8 days after planting it. I was in gardeners’ heaven! I had planted something, and it really grew! I don’t know if I thought that my seeds would be as obstinate as my children and simply choose to ignore their nature and stay underground. But I was beyond excited that it worked. For me!

Happily content I set onto one of my newfound addictions “Pinterest” This mind you, is where it all started to go downhill!

I was looking for tips. Gardening tips. I knew that eventually I would have to replant my little babies to a bigger place and needed some ideas on how to do it.

And there it was … staring me straight through the phone. Reuse and repurpose! And I had just the thing! (Old end tables – The kind that have lids that open so you can stuff things in!) They were just collecting dust in the garage. I B-lined it to the garage, grabbed a hammer and knocked the lids clear off. Okay, so it took a couple of whacks! Carried them outside … (Nick had told me they wouldn’t last more than a year because of rain and stuff *these were pressboard time* so I grabbed trash bags and lined the inside) *That, Was one of my biggest mistakes!) Filled them with soil and rehomed my babies. Go figured the sky would choose to open up nonstop this week!

At first … things were fine. The pea Plant thrived. It got so pretty with its filling out leaves (Pictured above) the tomato plants did too! Then … there was no break in the rain. It rained hard, thick and heavy. Sigh ……….. (Note) If you want to use something like end tables etc. Please do the one step I didn’t! Drill tiny holes in the bottom of the planter for the water to drain!

It was death by drowning.

When there was a break in the down pour, I rushed out … grabbed about six of the plants that were not quite dead and replaced them back into their original planters. (Another mistake) Taking plants that are used to the warmth into a house you keep rather cool, not such a good idea either!

I guess this blog can serve as a sad rant … I killed all my babies, to a, what not to do in gardening blog. Anyone out there have any success with gardening? I could really use some tried and true, fool proof ways.

Someday! I will have a lush garden that I can just waltz into when I want a salad!

 
If you happened by this blog, I hope you enjoyed it. I hope that it helps you in the future or today and that your day today and all days after are no less than good J Thanks for reading xxDee

No comments:

Post a Comment