Saturday, March 29, 2014

Taking Things Into My Own Hands

Hey you guys, Long time no type. "But I am here now."

Honestly, I just got swept away from life and the drama that comes with it. This, and that ... and everything in between seemed to pop up and rear its head. I feel like I put my life on hold for awhile there. I stopped doing anything that mattered to me. I quit blogging, quit writing in general, quit taking photographs, quit everything that brought joy to my life. I don't know what happened. However I am slowly putting things back, rearranging the importance of what I need, what I want, and what I can certainly do without so I don't find myself back into this slump.

Which brings me to .... WRITING!

My whole life I have wanted to be a writer.  Recently, I finished my first book "A children's story" (Freddy the frog *Finding friends*) I gathered up the courage and sent it in to Boyds mills press. They say that it could take up to 3 months to hear back from them, and it has only been one. Still I am restless on it. If they are going to accept it or reject it, I simply want it done sooner so I can move on.

The fear of rejection began setting in, and I decided to look for alternates. I wrote this story for my kids, and to me ... If it didn't sell, that was fine. As long as I could buy at least one copy for them to hold in their hands. On my search I came across *AMAZON!* and their KDP program. Where you can basically self publish, FREE! Which the picture you see attached to this post is the cover for my First short story ever *Fertilizer* Which I am putting the last touches on now, and plan on publishing in the next few days. I have to give most of the credit of that cover to the KDP community who helped me fix my first attempt at the cover. I owe having an awesome cover to their input and ideas. I am truly thankful for the kindness they shared in their help, that they were under no obligation to do so.

Either way ... I am going to do it. I am just going to write, and put it out for the world to see. If people love it, or hate it. At least I will have done it. Not just sat around wondering what could be but rather getting it out there and finding out what is. I am actually really excited.

I also started illustrating Freddy, and am almost completely done with the pictures for it. STUCK THOUGH on how to figure out how to format it so that the pictures and text are on the same page (Anyone out there reading this have a clue?) I figure there are plenty of ebooks that will tell me exactly how that I can buy and learn from.
CREATESPACE will let me put it in print too!

Needless to say, I am putting the fait of my writing into my own hands. Cutting out the middle man (publishers) I am making my dreams come true, instead of taking the many NO's  I have heard along the way.

I am nervous though on one point. The fact that my books range in all sorts of category. I do not just write for one age group. I don't just write horror/thriller. Sometimes it's a children's book. Sometimes its lovey dovey or death ridden. But then again, maybe that's not so bad. I can reach more than one type of reader. A mom who likes thrillers could come across my book while looking for something for her child to read.

I can not guarantee that everyone is going to like me as a writer, But I can hope to touch a few.
Have a great day everyone
xxDee


No comments:

Post a Comment