Thursday, September 19, 2013

Scared Shitless! I could hear the crack of fear in my own voice as I yelled...I have a fucking gun!


Ever wonder if in the event of a burglary an actual in the process burglary whether or not you would feel safe, invincible, like a vigilante on a mission to stop a crime? Ready to get down in the face of danger and save the day or even if you would be in your right mind when at that moment you hold in your hand a gun? Let me assure you right here and now ….

You don’t!

In fact I believe that it possesses a potential to strike more fear into the heart of the holder. Not only are you scared for your life because you have no idea what the person inside your home stealing your things is capable of. But the thought of “What if I am left with no choice but to use this?” Is enough to give any person the jitters.

Suddenly … all those episodes of CSI come flooding my mind. All those remarks of “Yeah He shot that man on his property sure, but he didn’t know if the burglar would have harmed him. The fact he went out to investigate with a gun makes it murder with intent.”

The moment yesterday held for me, as I stood in a broken into garage glancing into an open door that leads into a house holding my handgun, I realized just how ridiculous those remarks had been. Truth is, I do not ever believe it is murder with intent now. When you are frightened, confused, and upset … there is no intent. It is full on instinct to stay alive. To protect yourself, and what is yours. (When I say what is yours, I mean pets or people that may be still inside… not possessions.)

So the man who is being tried for murder for shooting the “would be burglar” in his yard after having been hit in the head with a brick … charges should be dropped. As someone who has witnessed firsthand at the emotions involved, the thoughts and tension … That man did not murder that man, He protected himself. There are no pre-determined intentions of murder. Not in situations like that. I do not think any lawyer or judge who has not been in that predicament is capable of grasping onto the reality of it. There for are not truly fit to judge the situation.

Yesterday while standing in my backyard playing with my dog I see Parker. “Little Yorkie” Thinking it’s just another of his getting loose moments. I scoop him up and head on over to hand him over. To my surprise when my name was yelled I was faced with a much more difficult situation. Next door had been broken into.

I will not give all personal details … because they are not mine to give. I can however tell you what I have learned.

First: Holding a gun in your hand at a time like this holds its benefits along with its chaos. Yes, you will be able to defend yourself if case causes for it. But it also ignites a deeper fear. Making your actions unpredictable. Regrettable. Maybe even unforgettable. But even so, still warranted!

Second: You hear about burglaries all the time … even when they are nine houses down the road you feel distant from them. Like it can’t happen to you. You are able to put it out of your mind and move on without another thought on it. No one pays much attention to it until it hits close to home or you personally. It’s clicked. IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!

Watching someone I care about go through this … it’s heartbreaking.

You are forced to realize that even if you live in a small neighborhood where everyone knows everyone. Bad shit can still happen. The importance of watching out for others plays stronger. Especially when this happened in between 12:19 and 3:00 in the afternoon. BROAD DAYLIGHT and no one saw a thing. No one heard a thing. I live right next door and I didn’t hear or see. The road we live on is lit up from beginning to end with construction workers laying sewer lines. And nada!

I cannot stress enough the importance of home security systems. My home is laced in every room. CPI security keeps a close track on it. TRUST ME, I have set off the smoke alarm cooking on numerous occasions. They are quick to respond. Normal monthly cost to be monitored for me is $42.00 a month. That is well worth it, if you think of the possible outcomes without it.  

Third: There truly is no place completely safe. You might think you live in a safe place, free of crime. “Oh, that won’t happen here!” You might hear. But it will. Because there are bad people in this world. Any country, any state, any county, city ETC. You can’t stop bad people doing bad things. BAD THINGS DO HAPPEN. It is better to stay safe and look ridiculous, than have a false sense of security and wind up getting your picture taken by crime scene investigators.

 

Please stay safe out there you guys! xxDee

 

No comments:

Post a Comment